Welcome to Bifold Closet Doors Information Headquarters
A Site to Help you Make the Right Choice as You Shop
Welcome to Bifold Closet Doors Headquarters! We will provide you with the latest information about different kinds of closet doors and some useful tips and advice on how to install and fix all those kinds of doors.
All you should know about the bifold closet doors
The new technologies of the woodworking allow creating exclusive designs of sliding bifold closet doors and implement any design project. The modern sliding bifold closet doors give the interior beauty; emphasize its style and personality of the room. This is an excellent design solution which has a rare elegance.
There are sliding bifold closet doors designed for the nonstandard interiors, for example for use in lavish mansions, country houses etc. This exclusive product is made of the valuable types of the wood and creates a unique interior space.
Sliding bifold closet doors are made of canvas, mechanisms (sliding system) to ensure the movement of the rails and the door frame. The canvas is made from the aluminum profiles with various filling. This may be a glass with the film, glass with the photography, sandblasted glass with picture and without it as well as tinted or frosted glass of 5 and 4 mm. Sometimes in order to fill the profile, the colored plastic – acrylic is being used. As a general rule, options are limited only by the desire of the customer.
With the help of the bifold closet doors it is possible to change the look of your home. The bifold closet doors may be made of different materials. They may be of wood, stone, metal, glass or mirror, as well as combine several materials. The bifold closet doors with mirrors are not only functional; they also visually expand the space. Given the constant pressure on the bifold closet doors, the producers have made the surface of the bifold closet doors laminated.
There are three main types of the bifold closet doors:
- Folding bifold closet doors and hanging bifold closet doors. The advantage of this design is that the guides are located at the top that allows you to use these doors in the niches, dressing rooms and walls.
- The bifold closet door is mounted in an aluminum or steel frame which rides on the rollers in steel slots or plastic grooves of the rails. There is a disadvantage in this system – the grooves accumulate the dirt. And the dirt prevents the movement of the bifold closet doors. From a strong jolt or shock the bifold closet doors could come off the rails.
- The third version of the bifold closet doors is the following. The rollers of the bifold closet doors slide on the rails. The main roller has the toe that prevents slippage of the bifold closet doors from the rails.
The sliding bifold closet door is an integral part of any closet. Sliding the bifold closet doors save valuable meters which is very important for the hallways. The sliding bifold closet doors are produced by the individual sizes. In order to formalize the bifold closet doors, the laminated particle boards both individually and with the solid mirrors and frosted glass are being used. There are some limitations on the size of the elements of the bifold closet doors.
- The sliding bifold closet doors are a canvas or a system of valves which close and open the aperture by a linear offset to the left or to the right. If this gap is equal to the size of the bifold closet doors frame, this design is called a sliding bifold closet doors. There are several options for sliding bifold closet doors: with rolling away from the door opening and inside the doorway; one-, two-, three- and four-railed systems; folding bifold closet doors of the “zig-zag” type; radial sliding bifold closet doors; swing bifold closet doors in the same style with the sliding. The sliding bifold closet doors consist of several elements: a door canvas, frame, a mechanism for the sliding doors, a decorative plate closing the mechanism; fittings for the sliding bifold closet doors, a timer or a set of architraves.
- The canvases are made of different materials, for example, from inexpensive wood sticks, as well as from particleboard or fiberboard on which the which wood veneer is glued (canvases made of wood are more expensive)as well as from the glass. Today one of the most popular, affordable and stylish options is the frosted glass. The glass can be applied with monograms, patterns, landscapes, figures in the Japanese style etc., as well as the glasses with a picture of the customer’s design are manufactured. The most popular version of the frame is the bifold closet door canvas, consisting of a wooden frame with glass, separated by horizontal wooden partitions. You can also use non-glass filling. For wooden doors these are special wooden panels.
- The frames of aluminum profiles for construction are similar to the wooden ones, but they are thinner and lighter. These bifold closet doors are also suitable for very wet areas. For aluminum doors there are special opaque plastic filling. There also are frameless glasses sliding bifold closet doors. In order to produce them safely (tempered) glass with the thickness of 8 mm is used. For frameless sliding bifold closet doors it is also possible to use a transparent glass or frosted glass, it is also possible to make the application drawings and logos on it.
- The mechanisms consist of a sliding door guiding (for different types of doors there may be one, two and three rails) with roller carriages, which are fixing the bifold closet doors canvases. The guiding is a thick-walled aluminum extrusions, clips from a special polymer with high resistance to abrasion that rotate on the ball bearings giving a smooth and easy move to the bifold closet doors. The stopper and the limiter fix the bifold closet doors at the the maximum distance and not let them go too far from the wall. The guiding by which they move can be attached to the wall or to the ceiling above the opening.
In the terms of the free space it is even more convenient when the bifold closet doors are pushed into the wall. But this solution would require a fairly substantial additional work, especially if the bifold closet doors are composed of two canvases going to opposite sides of the opening. The bifold closet doors can have either a single guiding for both wings, or two, and for each of the wings the variants of the movement directions may be different depending on the type of concrete construction.
They can be mounted on the top, bottom or on the both guiding. The gap between the wall and the bifold closet door canvas must be closed by special brushes in order to provide the insulation and protection from the dust of internal voids.
The sliding mechanisms of the bifold closet doors may have a different structure, depending on the weight of the door leaf. And there are special boxes designed for the sliding of the door in a wall. In the selection of the mechanism the weight of the bifold closet door should be necessarily taken into account. The heavier the bifold closet door will be, the more its need of the mechanism with a lot of rollers.
If you want to make a sliding door go to the wall, it is advisable to use a metal frame (cassette). The cassette makes it easier to install the bifold closet doors and it is much harder to dislodge or harm the door in the cassette. For the manufacture of the metal frame of the bifold closet doors the metal profiles (angle, channel, tube of rectangular cross section) are used.
The installation of the profiles and the trim of the openings should be performed after the installation of the framework. And for this it will be necessary to destroy the part of the wall to establish a framework and a set of rails, into the breach, and then to cover it all with the plasterboard. If everything is done correctly, the bifold closet door will go like clockwork.
There is no wide range of the fittings for the sliding bifold closet doors – these are flush handles built into the canvas, they do not protrude beyond the edge of the canvas. They cannot be made in another way, otherwise they will not make it possible for the door to slide. Typically these handles are sold together with the bifold closet door canvas but they can be made under the order according to the catalog, especially if you need the handles with the locks.
In the installation of the sliding bifold closet doors there is a number of features that should be considered at the very beginning of the repair work in the apartment. First of all, the estimated size of openings. The main prerequisite for the installation of sliding bifold closet doors is the availability of a place where the bifold closet doors will move. The bifold closet doors are usually made under the order or the customer and in accordance to the sizes provided by the customer. But there are ready bifold closet doors designs of standard sizes.
Please feel free to choose one of the following topics to start discovering interesting and useful facts about DOORS!